This is a copy of an UPDATE that I did for Green Leader's site, rather than reinvent it here, I just decided to post the same thing, with the thought that maybe this is the only place that some folks might see it. Suffice to say, the project is moving right along, there are only two buildings to finish and a few figures, I am in pretty good shape for being a little over five weeks away from the show...
PROJECTS - They, well... they never end... - Point Man
The HORSES are done... finally!
I made a total of 9 western saddles, revamped one Jennifer saddle to be a western saddle, and there were 8 more military saddles. I think I have done all the saddles I am going to do before the Ft. Thomas show. Here's a look at my five western horses...
I am calling this one "SPOT" for the moment. I will come up with a different name later. He is a black and white Thunderbolt that had his entire neck and head repositioned as well as his left front leg. Custom leather saddle with function rifle sheaf and saddle bags.
Going to call this fellow "PAINT" for the moment. He is another Thunderbolt with an altered front left leg. All of the particulars on the saddle are the same except that it is a different leather. The basis of my generic leather saddle is a resin saddle tree.
This Marx horse was a mess when I got him, he still is actually. It is one of those ones that came with the bending neck and head. It was in really rough shape. I used epoxy putty to build up the neck, back and rump so that he looked a little less like a mutant. If you look at him closely, the finish looks a little rough. I was never able to smooth it out as much as I would have liked. It just would not cooperate, but it is better than it was. I had to build a new mane out of epoxy putty as well. The saddle is like all the others, but is a really dark brown. I am calling this guy "CHOCOLATE" for the time being.
This one is "CHESTNUT". This was the first saddle I made and it is on a Marx Thunderbolt with an altered head (moved slightly to right - more apparent in first picture). The leather is a rough cut and contrasts with the trim and saddle tree. It's kind of different, but I like the way it looks. I used a dark leather for the harness so it would contrast with the horse color.
This is "BLACKIE" (though he really is a dark reddish brown). I went with a light leather on him for a nice contrast. This is actually the same leather that PAINT was wearing, but I used a wash of dark brown acrylic to make it a little more weather beaten. I know you can't really see that in the picture, you will just have to trust me on that one. The horse has had the right front leg altered.
I don't have pictures of the horses that I did for Gray Ghost, eventually I will get some, but here are my Cavalry troops with their four horses, wagon and two mules. The horses all have Jennifer pattern saddles made with black leather and the gear details are the same for military uniformity. I use the Jennifer saddle because it is easy to do and with a rider on the horse, it is indistinguishable from the same era McClellan Saddle. Here are a couple more shots of these guys...
I have also started working on Cowboy details such as these gunbelts in anticipation of doing some more figures. Two belts in upper left are finished, the other three are in progress. I am trying to use different leathers as much as possible and am altering the details here and there so that they all seem different.
That's all for this time. I have received three of the four town buildings from Gray Ghost and have begun the process of detailing, painting and weathering them. Next time I update, I will have something on the progress of the town, until then...
later - PM
POINT MAN'S PROJECT