Hey Guys, I have been working nonstop to get ready for the Ft. Thomas show in November, and here is a look at the two projects I will be displaying at the show. Hope these wet your appetite for coming to Ft. Thomas this November. It is going to be a great show, you don't want to miss it. Keep in mind, that my stuff is just one person's displays, there is going to be a ton of eye candy at this show - PM
It has been a while since I updated this project, so I thought I would tell you all what I have been up to for the past few months; first an update on my sd.kfz 250 and 222.
Eventually I will camouflage both vehicles, the plan is for a "spidery" camo using dark green. My old airbrush died, so I just got a new Pasche single action brush and a compressor. Above are both vehicles as displayed at the May meeting.
The 222 was an old Panzerjuan kit built by Gary1930. A nice build with solid construction, but it didn't have a whole lot of detail and there were a few things I wanted to try to improve if I could.
On this side the only mass produced items are the Dragon MG34 sticking out of the turret, the shovel, which came from a Gebirgsjager set, the gas cans and the headlights, which are Armor Hobby 250 lights. Everything else was scratchbuilt using styrene, brass or cast from resin. The Notek lamp is a one off casting of a Dragon lamp. The storage boxes on the doors were added and stowage boxes attached to the vehicle side were reworked for a more correct shape. The hinges
are all non-working brass bits. The turn signal is just sheet styrene.
I used nail heads I picked up from a scrapbooking store to simulate rivets throughout and the weld seems are putty. The Notek lamp on the back fender is a one off casting of a Dragon one and the "cage" around it is styrene and brass.
There was no cutout on the upper deck when I received the vehicle so I removed the styrene with a Dremel tool and added a double screen of plastic and wire. The hatch right above it was added with styrene and the hinges were cast off of ones used on the engine hatches. The lamp on the right back fender is a one off casting and the jack is scratchbuilt from styrene.
The Grenade screen that originally came with the kit was sort of bulky and didn't look quite right to me. I got a frame kit from Hammer Six that seemed a little more correct, so I built that and added the screen. Unfortunately the front of the turret didn't match up to the frame, so I had to rework that a little bit by adding some styrene strip.
The vision port visors were a little oversized as well, coming from a 250 kit. I managed to pry them off of the hull and cut three of them down. One tore up so bad, I had to cast a new one out of resin. When I positioned them on the hull, I left two in the open position. There is no interior to speak of in the vehicle, but you really can't see enough of the inside to really matter.
The 250 halftrack by Armor Hobbies is a great basic kit at a great price. I happen to know that Toychest and Collectibles still has some in stock and you cannot get a better value for your money in the vehicle category. Mine has been worked up as a 250/5 artillery observation vehicle. I did correct the right hand side tool box with a scratchbuilt fixture made of styrene. The top drawer will pull out and I plan to add some tools. The tool box cover is hinged and will fasten in the closed position. A large storage box was added on this side as well and both of those covers are hinged and functional. Not sure what I am going to put in this stowage area yet. The front lamps were also repositioned in a more correct fashion and the plate for the cold weather start hookup was added to the front armor plate. The pick came with the set, but the small hatchet is one that I cast from another vehicle.
The wire cutters on the front fender were a Dragon item. The Notek lamps front and back are one off castings. The box that covers the muffler was modified slightly. The guard on the top of the hull by the machine gun was added with sheet styrene and the function machine gun shield was scratchbuild from styrene.
The Dragon periscope is mounted on a brass rod. It can move up and down slightly and the mount can be rotated. There is a working travel restraint that can swivel back and forth and hooks over the mounting pole. Pretty much all of the major components in the interior are scratchbuilt or one off castings, the exceptions being the small gear and personal items that are scattered about. The seats, transmission housing, storage box and intercom system are all scratch built, the radio panels are casts from ones that Hammer Six had, the boxes then built around them from styrene.
The frame around the radios and the stowage boxes and equipment drawers are all scratchbuilt, as is the observer's chair. All of the paper items were created on the computer.
I made some of the radio instrument panel placards on the computer as well. The wiring is actually flexible vinyl tubing that I found at Hobby Lobby.
Another view of the tool box and stowage box. The mount on the antenna was a one off casting.
Well, that is the 250 and the 222 to date. But I have also been working on my Panzer III and this last week I was able to work on detailing it, actually spraying the basecoat of paint today. The following shows that part of the project to date.
And that is where everything stands at the moment. The goal is to get the camouflage painted on all three vehicles this week and then weathering and some additional external details. The vehicles will be on display at the 2014 Ft. Thomas Figurecon November 15 and 16, details are available here;
POINT MAN'S PROJECT