Wow... seems like life has sort of spun out of control since the last time I posted anything here. My wife's mother had a bad fall and broke her back and four ribs. She's 91 years old, so it was pretty touch and go for a while. A week in the hospital, two weeks in Physical Therapy and we had to get her moved out of a independent living situation and into assisted living. In the middle of all that, family descended upon us to "help" and I had to have a root canal and have a broken tooth pulled. Somewhere along the line, this last month, things have sort of stabilized and I started thinking about the hobby again. My last post was back on September 10th and Phil and I had just finished up the Half-track project. I can't believe that much time has passed. But about a week before the November SSCC Ohio meeting, I dug my Dragon Sherman kit out of the storeroom and started working on it. Amazingly enough I was able to get it built in time to take it to the meeting as a work in progress.
These top three shots were of the tank as I had just finished the basic build and was just starting to add some of the detail to it. I wish I had good things to say about this model, but I thought the build was a pain. If you have one of these in a box, or are thinking about buying one, be forewarned, it is not an easy build. The instructions are terrible. They show you where most of the parts go, but do not adequately explain sub assemblies, nor is there really a logical sequence to the steps. It is my experience that if you start adding detail parts before you complete the basic assembly, you are going to break things....especially if your lower hull turns out to be as warped as mine was.
I had to go out and buy some screws to fasten the lower and upper hull together, I would never have been able to us glue alone to straighten the fit up. Other issue included the fit of some parts, the fact that locator pins on detail parts didn't match up to locator holes, or there were no holes at all. Probably the worst thing on mine was the fact that the space between the sprockets on the driver wheels were too tight to allow my track to seat properly. I had to put them back apart and add a spacer ring. Phil, who is working on his own Sherman at the same time has encountered many of the same issues.
Here's my Sherman with crew, prior to adding a 50 caliber MG on the turret.
Here's my tank on meeting night, pretty much ready to be painted. You can see Phil's tank in the background of the second shot. I had just added those armor plates on his and he was going to take it home and start working on his detail.
We are supposed to have several days this next week where the temperature is going to climb back up into the 50's. I am hoping to not only get my Sherman painted, but get my M2A1 Halftrack weathered as well. That's about it for now. PM
POINT MAN'S PROJECT